Do you know why laver from Wando is the best?
● It's because of its taste right from the nature of clean foreshore.
From original source of sea of Wando, the natural taste is maintained through the traditional fish farming technology and by selecting the premium kind, sales process as well as the quality are assured.
● Stone Laver of Wando, the Gift of Clean Nature
Wando stone laver, the gift of wisdom of 200 years from our ancestors grown by installing prop wood on clean foreshore in Gogeum-myeon, a famous site of stone laver in Wando, was grown under suitale exposure of natural sunlight, hence offers superior taste and flavor. In particular, Wando stone laver introduced frequently on media for its good taste, is a specialty of Wando.
Types of Laver
Traditional laver of Wando grown from clean sea is thin, soft and has traditional flavor.
Green Laver tastes extraordinarily good when suitably combined with good quality laver and green laver. It also stimulates your appetite for the unique flavor of green laver.
Stone laver from Wando is famous for its clean taste and glaze.
Gimbap laver has even particles of ordinary laver, and with its thick and fine particles, it doesn't get torn when rolled into gimbap.
Salted and Sauted Laver
Fresh and aromatic laver offers nutty and crunchy taste.
Classifications and Types of Laver
- Laver is seaweed under Rhodophyta - Rhodophyceae - Protoflorideae - Bangiales - Nagiaceae.
- Types : 60 (50 overseas, 10 domestic)
- Seaweeds in Wando : Porphra yezoensis 70%, Porphyra tenera Kjellman 10%, Porphyra Suborbiculata Kjellman 10%
Environmental Conditions for Laver and Fish Farming Status in Wando
- Water Temperature: Seedling collection (Under 23℃), Germination (15-22℃), Nurturing (5-8℃), End of season (12-23℃)
- Water Flow: Seedling collection 7cm/s, Germination 7-25 cm/s
Fish Farming Status
- Facility (Late September) → First laver (November-December) → Second laver (January-February) → Last produce laver (March-April)
- Stone laver (gopchanggim) is collected during first laver, and dongtaegim (porphra yezoensis) is produced by natural collection after December
- Fish farm capable of artificial and natural seedling collection
Substances and Effects of Laver
- Rich in various minerals including proteins, potassium, iron, vitamins and phosphorous
- Reduced blood cholesterol level and risk of arteriosclerosis, prevent cancer
- anti-aging vitamin C (anti-aging): 10 times apple, 50 times beef
- Vitamin B1 (brain development): 10 times beef, 30 times croaker
- Calcium: 100 times beef
- Contains zinc, an essential substance for producing sperms in men (5.1 mg)
※ In Bencao Gangmu, cheonghaetae (laver) is recorded to strengthen the power of stomach.