Waters of Wando are purified by the foreshore, seaweed forest, elvan rocks and saltpeter into clean sea and seaweed produced in these clean waters boasts freshest taste.
Wando-gun, located at the far South of the Korean peninsula is an island group of 265 (55 manned, 210 unmanned) small and large islands, and is one of the six major islands of Korea. It is located northeast to Goheung-gun and Yeosu-si, northwest to Haenam-gun and Gangjin-gun, and Bukjeju-gun in Jeju Island to the south bordering the sea.
- Location: Wando-eup Longitude 127'15'40, north latitude 34'13
- Population : 53,619
Temperature and Rainfall
Wando has a warm and moist climate, clear distinction between four seasons with shorter spring and autumn and longer summer and winter.
|Average||Max. (August)||Min. (February)||Average||Max. (July)||Min. (January)|
- The center of archipelago marine national park with 265 islands, sea of 4,940㎢, coastline of 839km, foreshore and best beach in south sea including Myeongsasimni beach
- Highest fisheries production in clean waters of Korea: 237,000 tons (34.1% in Jeonnam, 8.3% in Korea)
- Market share of fisheries products of Wando
- Seaweed: Kelp (78%), fusiformes (75%), seaweed fulvescens (61%), sea mustard (27%), laver (7%)
- Shellfish: Abalone (80%), halibut (36%), anchovy (20%)
Crable of Historical and Cultural Assets
- Basis of Marine King Chang PoGo
- Gogeum Myodangdo
where the spirit of Yi Sunshin resides
the footsteps of Gosan Yun Sundo
- Land of anti-Japanese movement
Soando and Sinjido
Basis of Maritime Transportation in Southwest Region
- Center of Southwest archipelago, international trade port at the far south of Korean peninsula
- Located closest to Jeju international free trade city (96km) / Mokpo (174km) / Yeosu (200km) / Gwangyang (244km) / Busan (315km)