As an alternative measure to solve future food crisis, with the issue on future food crisis due to international deficiency of resources, seaweed was proposed as an alternative.
Indefinite Potentials through Diverse Convergence with Biotechnology
Seaweed industry is a convergent industry of primary industry (production of seaweed), secondary industry (food, drug and material processing) and tertiary industry (bioenergy). In particular, it is a sector of high expectations on the utilization of next generation bioenergy supplier.
New Materials and New Drugs/Cosmetics Related Fields
Seaweed is used as a new material in diverse sectors including lifestyle goods, cosmetic goods and new drug development.
- Cosmetics - Utilizing moisturizing, regenerating and antioxidative effects of seaweed in skin care cosmetics products.
- Skin Care Product - Prevent and reduce skin troubles and prevent hair falling and drying.
Well-Being Food Related Fields
Used as health supplement, marine fish farm feed and food ingredients.
- Health Supplement - Substance used in health supplements and protein shake to supply energy, reinforce immunity and detoxify.
- Food Colorant and Food and Drug - Seaweed has wide spectrum of natural colors as it absorbs wide band of wavelengths of the sun.
Eco-Friendly Energy Related Fields
Create high added values as alternative energy source for producing bio-diesel and bio-hydrogen.
- Alternative clean energy development is an important issue in which clean energy development using seaweed is emerging recently.
- Macroalgae such as brown algae and red algae are used in bioethanol production.
- Research for biodiesel production using macroalgae is in progress.
Classification of Seaweed Industry in Korea
Seaweed industry in Korea is largely classified into edible and non-edible sectors. Non-edible sector is sub-classified into drug, chemical, environment and bio-energy fields.
Source : Jeju Seaweed Industry RIS Business Group, Jeju National University
|Utilization Area||Description||Target Seaweed|
|Edible Sector||Fish Farming||Proudction of useful seaweed resource||Laver, sea mustard, kelp, agar, etc.|
|Food Industry||Health supplement, fermented food, food additive, feed additive, other bio food using seaweed resource (kelp pellet, kelp noodles, seasoned laver, etc.)||Laver, kelp, sea mustard|
|Non-Edible Sector||Biodrug Industry||Various medical materials and products using effective bioactive functions of seaweed||Laver, sea string, brown algae, red algae, green algae, etc.|
|Biochemistry Industry||High molecular materials, industrial and research agents, bio-cosmetics and lifestyle chemicals, biological agents and fertilizers, pulp and paper using seaweed resources|
|Bioenvironment Industry||Bio-environmental products using seaweed resources||Kelp, sea|
|Bioenergy Industry||Bio-fuels using seaweed resources (bio-diesel, ethanol), CO2 reduction, CDM certification||Sea mustard, kelp, brown algae, green algae, etc.|